FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the GNOHIE?
The GNOHIE, short for the Greater New Orleans Health Information Exchange, securely stores your medical records electronically so that physicians and hospitals who belong to the GNOHIE can access your health information and securely share it with each other for purposes permitted under HIPAA.
What can the GNOHIE do for me?
Here are some ways the GNOHIE helps us help you:
- You don’t have to remember the details of every encounter and spend time filling out the same paperwork again and again.
- Doctors can see your previous laboratory tests, imaging studies, and procedure notes so they do not have to order repeat diagnostics. This saves you both time and money.
- Your primary doctor will be informed when you go to the emergency room or are admitted to the hospital so that you can receive seamless follow-up care.
- When you’re in the hospital, authorized caregivers can view your health records and better coordinate your care.
What is it going to cost me?
Participating in the GNOHIE is free to all patients because your involvement improves the quality of care and reduces healthcare costs for everyone in the community.
Is my health information secure?
Because your privacy is extremely important, the GNOHIE has created a secure system for information exchange that complies with state and federal privacy laws. Only authorized members of your healthcare team can view your health record.
What information will never be shared through the GNOHIE?
- Psychotherapy notes
- Your mental health records if you are under 18
- Records from drug alcohol and substance abuse treatment centers
- Genetic testing information
Who will see my HIV status?
GNOHIE providers can see your HIV status if it’s in your health records. They may use this information only to help with your care.
How can I sign up for the GNOHIE?
Ask your doctors if they participate in the GNOHIE or view our growing list of participating providers.
What if I do not want to participate in the GNOHIE?
If you decide that you do not want to participate, you can opt out by calling 1-855-4GNOHIE (1-855-446-6443).